Welcome to my Blog!

Please feel free to suggest topics that you would like to read more about.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my parenting blog! Through the writing of this blog, I hope to share some behavioural techniques and creative ideas that have helped me in my own parenting and with the parenting of children in my life through work, friends and family.

Parenting, like life, is a journey with its ups and downs but I believe that once a parent understands how to utilize a few behaviour management techniques, it can be easy and even enjoyable. Every parent has their own style, personality and foibles that make them interesting, fun and unique. I'm not here to change that, but instead to encourage you to use your strengths to your advantage and to give you some creative ideas that may help to solve issues that you may have run into.

Everyone must wade through advice they get from friends, relatives, books, etc. until they find something that they are comfortable with and I am no different. As a young parent when I wanted to get my daughter to sleep in her own crib after sharing a bed with my husband and I, I decided to try the controversial Ferber method of letting her cry it out but it didn't work, it only stressed us all out. I ended up transitioning her slowly into a toddler bed by spending a week sleeping in her room and replacing myself with a stuffed animal. Why I even bothered setting up a crib for that child is beyond me but I guess we do what everyone else does without even questioning why sometimes. (I have learned to ask myself 'why' much more often)

My main focus as a parent and counselor is for children to grow up to feel confident in who they are (self esteem), be able to bounce back from adversity (resiliency) and be able to maintain meaningful relationships with other people (love).

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment